I am very fortunate to be able to live a safe, secure, healthy life with supportive people around me. I want for very little and I have a lot for which to be grateful. Many others in this country live in far less desirable conditions than I. In May, I’ll get do something that I enjoy (running) and help people who are in need.
The Gathering Place
The Gathering Place is Denver’s only daytime drop-in shelter for women, children and the transgender community who are poor or homeless. TGP also offers a wide variety of services to this vulnerable population. I was contacted recently by TGP employee Juliette Lee to see if I’d be willing to run the Colfax Marathon on their behalf as well as do some fundraising for them. I said, “yes.”
- Betsy’s Cupboard: Members may receive 25 lbs of food per month as well as toiletry and hygiene items.
- Bridget’s Boutique: TGP’s clothing bank features items for members donated by the community.
- Phone access
- Mail access
- Physical & mental health services
- Family program: Our Family Program provides a safe and fun space for children under 18 to be while at The Gathering Place. Staff also provides resources and referrals specifically targeted to families.
- Housing stabilization: TGP’s only case-managed program, our Housing Stabilization Advocate works with members seeking long-term, sustainable housing options.
- Nap room: 6 beds are available for napping on a first come, first served basis. Clean linens provided.
- Community resources: The 1st Floor Resource Desk is a great place to learn about wider Denver Metro area resources. If what you are seeking is not at TGP, our Resource Advocates will do their best to connect you with where you need to go.
- GED classes: The Education Classroom hosts GED Class twice a week and holds on-site testing periodically.
- Job readiness: TGP’s Job Readiness program offers support with résumé assistance, interview prep, and job seeking.
- Computer lab
- The Card Project: Members create original artwork to be sold as greeting cards at TGP and by local businesses. Seventy-five percent of each card sale goes back to the artist.
- The Writer’s Group: The Gathering Place has two writer’s groups that meet weekly on the 3rd Floor – one for technical writing and one for creative writing.
- Knitting & crochet
- Open art: Open Art time gives members freedom to explore creative self-expression and experiment in a variety of mediums.
I’m asking for your help. If you want to donate then a suggested minimum amount is a $20 pledge ($2 per mile.) You can follow this link to my donation page. Any donation you can provide will be greatly appreciated.