The big news today is that I got out on the real bike, wheels and all. I wasn’t sure how the knee would feel clipping in and out of the pedals but all is well. I also lifted today. Here’s how it went.
- Rower (first time on a rower since the knee): 1000m
Warm-up circuit x 3
- Band walk
- Halos in 1/2 kneeling position: 40 lbs. x 3 each direction; What’s a halo? Watch and learn.
- variations on the anti-rotation cable press
- Barbell press: 80 lbs. x 5 – 95 lbs. x 5 – 105 lbs. x 8
- Good morning (video below): 105 lbs. x 15 – 115 lbs. x 15 – 135 lbs. x 12
- Super-set x 3
- 1-leg bench hip thrust x 10 each leg
- hanging knee-ups x 10 each leg
- Next week I’ll add reps (not weight) to the hip thrust, knee-ups and I’ll see if I can get 15 reps w/135 lbs. on the good morning.
- Bike ride: 14 miles, about 1 hr.: VERY happy to be outdoors. Biking indoors is a slow death.
I managed six miles on the exercise bike today which felt pretty good. Less than a week ago I could barely turn the crank at all. I plan to add 2 minutes each time
- Bike: 13 min./3 mi. mostly at level 5
- Super set 1
- Pull-ups x 2 reps
- Push-ups x 2 reps
- Repeated 2 and 2 for 5 sets as fast as possible then took a brief rest
- Repeated this whole pattern for 10 minutes
- accumulated 40 reps of each exercise
- Super set 2
- Stability ball leg curl: 10 reps x 4 sets
- Face Pull: 40 lbs. x 15 – 55 lbs. x 12 – 90 lbs. x 10 x 2 sets
- Super set 3
- Tall kneeling lift: 20 lbs. x 10 reps x 2 sets then switched to 1/2 kneeling lift x 10 reps x 2 sets
- split squat x 10 reps x 2 sets then switched to step up on left leg x 10 reps x 2 sets
- Bike: 15 min./4 mi. 104 watts; mostly at level 5
I intend to add reps to the leg exercises and time to the bike. I will track time, mileage, resistance level and watts on the bike. I am pleased to be progressing!
The knee is moving a little better. It’s still tight and I’m not ready to pogo or hopscotch yet but I’ll take what I can get. Here’s what I did today.
- Circuit 1: 3 rounds
- Press: 105 x 3 reps
- Band walk
- Terminal knee extension (TKE): 20 reps
- Circuit 2: 3 rounds
- Bent barbell row: 105 x 10 reps
- Romanian Deadlift (RDL): 105 x 10 reps
- 1-leg bench hip thrust: This is a helluva glute/ham developer. At some point I’d like to do it with a weight vest. A demo is below but I did it with my back on the ground instead of on the bench. Probably not yet a good idea for me to try and get in the position shown in the video.
- Circuit 3: 3 rounds
- TRX row x 10-15
- TRX ab fallout x 10 reps with a 3 second hold
This is all still fairly miniscule
Happy happy joy joy!! Grins all around, etc! I got in a workout and it wasn’t half-bad. (Maybe just 1/4 bad since one limb is offline.) Prior to the workout though I did some range-of-motion (ROM) work yesterday simply to expand the amount of movement available to my knee. Essentially all I did was bend and straighten my knee back and forth working into the tightness I felt. I am definitely moving better today. Here’s what it looked like:
- Barbell press: 95 lbs x 5 x 5
- Good morning: 95 lbs x 3 x 10
- Pushups (did a bunch of these yesterday too.): 3 x 10
- Pull-ups: 5 x 5
- 1/2 kneeling twist: 2 x 10 twists
- kneeling is actually OK on the knee
- hands across the chest
- rotate from left to right
- keep base as narrow as possible w/o losing balance
- Pistol squat to bench, left leg only: 3 x 6
- Bird dog: 2 x 10 w/3 sec. hold
- 1-leg balance on right leg: Worked for about 5 x 30 sec
- Terminal knee extension w/band. Here’s a video:
Overall, I’m very pleased with today’s activity. I felt like I did something and my knee is working fairly well all things considered. I have two main goals here: 1) Keep my healthy parts strong and mobile and, 2) maintain as much mobility and muscular activity as I can on the hurt leg. Very likely I’ll be getting surgery (When? I have NO IDEA!!! ARRRRGH!) and there will be quite a bit of muscular atrophy and weakness. I’m trying to front-load all the strength I can. I may get on a recumbent exercise bike today or tomorrow.
For no particular reason, I thought I’d post my workout for the day. Going to try and post this every day.
- 6 am barbell/kettlebell class:
- Squats: up to 235 x 3.
- I’m still looking for a 1RM with my new deep squat technique.
- I LOVE deep squats.
- Is that an odd thing to say?
- Push press behind the neck: 105 x 3 sets x 5 reps.
- Haven’t done this before.
- Probably could’ve gone heavier but this was good.
- kettlebell half-snatch: 40 kg x 20 rep sets for 100 reps each arm.
- HELLO BLISTERS! Gotta do some more snatching throughout the week to build up some callouses on the palms.
- 9 am track workout: 6 x 800m @ 3:50.
- Cold weather blew in early and it got frosty and very windy out there but I got ‘er done.
- Tomorrow: Rest day